Tuesday, April 1, 2014
Reflections on the first 50 pounds...
It has been quite a journey so far, and I am so glad that I decided to keep trying...
Today, according to the numerous weight-loss/healthy eating websites I have joined, I have lost anywhere from 40 to 50 pounds in the last couple of months (depending on when I joined the site). Pardon me while I toot my own horn a bit....ok, I think I'm done :D
Things haven't been super smooth or easy, it's been very much a roller coaster journey so far, and I don't know that I have it all figured out yet, but I'm getting there and progress is being made!
Some simple thoughts that have crossed my mind in this last week:
1. I now weigh less than I have in at least seven years - craziness!
2. I have developed a love for walking outdoors. This is absolutely NUTS, as I normally do not like exercise, and don't really care for the wilderness either. Last weekend I ended up legitimately hiking for over two-and-a-half miles (as measured by my wonderful MapMyWalk app - I'm in love with it) The picture of the bridge was almost at the end of my hike. I was super tired and a little sore, but man did it feel good!
3. Along with #2, I am just walking more. Walking a mile or two in a week used to be a huge deal, and now I am walking around 6-10!
4. I put on my first pair of jeans in I-don't-know-how-long. I forgot how much I love jeans! They weren't super comfy yet, but they zipped pretty easily, so YAY for that!
5. I love when people look at me, and are clearly trying to figure out what has changed. Very few have been brave enough to ask (I can't blame them) but it's so nice to just to have that spark of a recognition - I can't wait to see this increase as I continue to lose weight.
5. Even when I "overdo" it with food, and I do (perfection, I've decided, is just not in my plan, and it seems to be working for me so far), the damage is SO much less. My threshold for unhealthy food is so much lower, so a little goes a long way.
So maybe I'm not done tooting my own horn yet. I think I'm OK with that, because at some point, I'm sure I will experience other lulls and need to reread this as a little extra motivation to stay the course.
Posted by Jen at 9:33 PM